I remember very clearly wanting to live on a farm when I was a little girl. I would imagine wearing overalls and pigtails, and going to pick vegetables and collect them in my wicker basket. I thought I would gladly get up at 5am to milk the cow and collect chicken eggs. I really have no idea where this desire came from, but as you can see, it's been evident in my life for quite sometime.
On this general idea, my dear friend Brittney posted a blog the other day about a dream. A good dream at that, her ideal homestead. She then asked, "What's your dream?" I am very inclined to answer, having been seriously discussing this with Jon not an hour before I read the blog. Coincedence? I think not.
Okay, no surprise, I want to live on a farm. Well, okay, maybe not an actual farm, but somewhere I can play farm. I want to live on land. Green land. Lots of beautiful rolling hills with fields up to my knees where I can play with Adelaide and have picnics with Jon. Somewhere I can have an actual huge garden. Somewhere we can have an orchard of fruit trees. Somewhere with a back porch where I can sip lemonade and watch the sunset (and apparently behave like an 80 year old). And since this is a dream, we'll go all out, right? A wonderful house that Jon designs. (Although a cool old farm house that we get to fix up would be alright if we aren't millionaires that get to design our own home.) I'll let him decide the details of this one, as long as there's plenty of windows that allow for tons of natural light (but any good architect should do that anyway, right?) and a huge amazing kitchen with a breakfast nook/bay window, and french doors that open up right into the garden. Sigh.
And I love what Brittney wrote. She mentioned the fact that God gives us our desires and that she's confident one day He'll provide. I had said the same thing to Jon. "God either gives us the desires of our hearts, or he changes our hearts to want different things." So, I'm with Britt. One day, I'll get my dream house, or God will change my heart and give me a desire for something different, but just as wonderful. And for now, I'm feeling satisfied with my garden planters (more on that later...). So, let's hear it. Dream homes?
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
That is an excellent dream! Similar to mine...
I want a little 1930's bungalow with a grassy-, tree-y yard and plenty of room for a garden and maybe a chicken coop.
Lots of windows/natural light, a craft room/office of my own, white kitchen, fireplace. Walking distance to good grocery stores, cafe, park, book store, fabric store, public transportation -- but not TOO urban. And not too far from a big airport.
Moderate weather leaning towards mostly overcast. Lots of walking/bike paths.
Portland.
I'm determined to make it mine. :)
Seattle. Outskirts. Jersey Dairy cow. Victorian style house. Chickens. Fruit trees. Garden.
Tough to say... my idea of home has so dramatically changed in the last few years I really don't know. Let me think about it.
I'm glad you did this post... it's fun isn't it :o) Whenever you get your farm I'd love to come visit! Does Jon share your dream?
My dream home is a large vintage home with built in bookshelves, wrap around porch, fun nooks and crannies for children to hide in. Back east in Conn. or someplace like that. ::sigh::
Fauf
Farah, you are totally not allowed to move to Conn.
At least until Jon and I move to Europe. :)
As a child there were many things I wanted to do: be a major league baseball player, a policeman, movie star(until I found out that they don't acctually usually do the fun crazy things, but the stuntment get to have all the fun), firefighter... I would always make up stories of myself as one of these or someother fun person as I went to sleep. Oh the fun memories. Tonight maybe I will see what kind of story I can come up with while I fall asleep for what I want to be when I grow up, haha. :) I love you baby.
Post a Comment