
Currently studying:

All in the attempt of planting a small, yet successful garden. Nothing too crazy here; a few tomatoes, some peas perhaps, a couple peppers, and, well, a lot of herbs. And some beautiful climbing plant that will look lovely all flowered. It's a simple goal, but an honest one.
Let me just say, 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle' has really challenged me. It follows Kingsolver and her family as they try to go a year only eating what that raise, grow, or buy from people locally that raise and grow themselves. It seems an extreme concept, but we as Americans have forgotten where our food comes from. We think it's gross that vegetables come out of the ground and are covered in dirt, yet we digest McDonalds like there's no tomorrow (and there's not likely to be one if we keep eating that way...) Middle America is dying, and it's because we have no respect for the farmer and what he's doing for us. Fresh produce, in season. A simple idea, but a powerful one. A healthy one. A revolutionary one in this day and age. So, that's my goal. Buy local, eat in season, and avoid buying "fake" vegetables (tomatoes any time of the year besides summer, for instance?) that grew in some false environment and cost an arm and a leg in oil to have shipped to me. So, I'm frequenting the farmer's market, and planning my meals around what's in season, instead of what's in stock. And this week, that consisted of some amazing oranges, strawberries (that I was assured were picked that morning), swiss chard, and multiple kinds of peas. The strawberries?
Well, they were quickly put to use.
So, everyone, I know it's a tough gig, but someone's got to do it. If we want to actually enjoy our food, we should probably eat food that actually tastes good. I know, crazy concept. But one I'm gladly willing to try. Bon appetite.
Strawberry Glace Pie
One Pie Crust (your good ole' standby recipe works perfectly)
3 pints of strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 cup water
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
Make pie crust and cook until golden brown. Set aside.
Mash enough strawberries to equal one cup. Combine with the water, cornstarch and sugar in a pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Cool.
Whip the cream cheese (a few seconds in the microwave greatly helps this process) and smooth over the pie crust. Add the whole strawberries. Pour the cooled strawberry mixture over the top. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
Enjoy immensely.

5 comments:
Mmmmmmmmmm that sounds really yummy. I think I need to read that book. Well maybe. I already kinda think that way about the stuff we eat. I do need to get Stephen to read it though so he'll be a little more on board with this whole produce wagon I've got us on. :)
I really want to plant a garden this year too! We just had a guy who is an expert gardener come and speak at our MOPS group and I'm super pumped now! I so miss delicious fresh California strawberries! When I buy them at our store they are usually starting to mold! :( Good idea about buying locally and what's in season! I can't wait for our farmers market to start up next month! I'm excited to see how your garden turns out.
Yay for gardens! We are going to do one this year and I'm super excited about it. Now I am craving strawberries like no other!!! Ahhh. I have the same problem as Andrea, the strawberries get moldy so fast here. Maybe I can find some for the yummy pie though :)
Have fun planting your garden! That book totally changed my outlook on food also. Everything about eating the way her family does is so rational and healthy. I love it.
It was great to see you guys today!!! That last cup of half-caf really did a number on me, though. Haha. I think I'm going to try to fall asleep again now. =)
That strawberry pie was quite delightful, and I had so much fun picking out plants and planting the garden with you. I just love spending time with you no matter what we are doing. :)
Post a Comment