Thursday, June 4, 2009

Friday Favorites: Tony Awards

Well, I may have lost some of you at the title, but hear me out on this one. It seems to me musicals have a bad reputation. They've gone the way of all good, old-fashioned things like lard pie crusts, lemonade from ACTUAL lemons, and homemade, well, anything. There's a generally sense of joy in them, ya' know? And they've come a long way. Musicals are no longer archaic love scenes and cheesy ballads. They're hip. They're funny--no, no, hysterical. Really. Baz Luhrman rocked the movie musical world with Moulin Rouge! Rent brought the art form to a completly different level. Today, there is a musical out there for everyone. At group the other night, Jimmy stated "I hate musicals." Well Jimmy, guess what. That's the first line of "The Drowsy Chaperone." See, a show for all tastes, even those that despise musicals.

So, start doing some research. A good place to start? The Tony Awards, which happen to be this Sunday night, June 7th on CBS. They're highly entertaining, full of famous people, enjoyable speeches, and yes, plenty of good music. This year, 'Shrek the Musical' is nominated for Best Musical. Yes, Shrek. See, musicals have certainly come a long way from cowboys riding through corn fields singing about one of the boring-est states in the USA. (Sorry Anissa! And really, I love Oklahoma). And here's proof. Last years win, 'In the Heights.' Just watch this, I promise you'll be surprised. On with the show!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! And I grew up on musicals, so I even appreciate the cheesy ones. I hear one song from an old musical, and it takes me back to lovely nostalgic thoughts. ::Sigh::

Fauf

Kirstin said...

Well you know me--always wanted to ride in a buggy with a fringe on top, but 96000 was pretty awesome! I'll have to remember to watch the Tony's on Sunday!